Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July

My dear friend Carol B. e-mailed me today and I loved what she said, so I thought I would share it with you...

Is it not a privilege to walk together on this journey to freedom and newness?!? What a privilege to live in this country of freedom too! It seems to me that this national holiday more than ever before is taking on deeper and deeper meaning. I think we all would agree, much is changing in our nation. What we have always taken for granted will be our rights and privileges seem to be challenged more and more. I do thank God that so far, we can without fear acknowledge Him as the God we trust. I do hope as you gather with family and friends you will enjoy the freedom to gather, to celebrate, and to thank our God and King for His blessings and protection. Sorry, that’s much too serious . . . and yet as I look at the American flags outside my window, I am reminded of the phrase, “Freedom is never free. There is a great cost!”

My father and father-in-law served in World War II, my cousin’s son, Jason has been to Afghanistan and Iraq twice. I even now see the faces of the young women who came to the Military Support Group whose husbands are in Iraq right now, and it does cause me to take more seriously the cost of freedom. Wow . . . it cost Jesus everything to give us our freedom too!

Have a blessed Fourth of July!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. Doesn't it just bring tears to your eyes to know that Jesus did give his life for our freedom and all the Armed Forces are doing that now for us. Thanks for sharing this Chris.
Hugs,
Trish