Sunday, July 27, 2008

Science Project Day 13






Today, I pretty much ignored the net. I had sooo much to do I didn't even pay any attention to the Cocoons.


Tonight, I went into the kitchen around 4:30 p.m. to make dinner. I saw something MOVE in the net. I was like "HUH!?"
One of our butterflies had hatched!!! The first few pictures were before the Painted Lady Butterfly had pumped it's wings. Once it pumped its wings to get the fluid flowing and "fluff" up a bit, he seemed to gather more color.
The books told us to mix 3 tsp. of sugar with one cup of water and soak flower petals inside or make them like dew drops and lay on the bottom of the butterfly hut, so we did that.
This final picture is after the butterfly had eaten. More color seems to be coming into the butterfly as the hours have passed.
If you look closely at the pictures with the other cocoons, there is one hatching or coming out of the cocoon.
We will take pictures as often as we can - before bed and first thing in the morning of the cocoon that is hatching. Be sure to check back tomorrow to see the next butterfly!
Have a wonderful evening!

4 comments:

Eve said...

That is totally fascinating. I will have to check back and watch this transormation take place.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, what a miraculous event to share with you kids! That is so awesome, I can't wait to see more pictures! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I never knew the sugar water would help bring out their colors! I can't wait to see more!

Jill Hilliard said...

WOW. We have some caterpillars here and some bug fans.(not me!!!) I showed my kids the tracking of each day. They loved it. We are not nearly as equipped as you are. Thanks so much for sharing. JILL